Friday, June 12, 2015

Vampy Black: An Impasse

Sometimes you hit these when editing, and I think we wrote ourselves in a corner with this one.

We have a part of the story where a certain something has to happen, a box needs to be opened or a room needs to be entered sort of thing, and this pivotal moment was tacked on to the end of an already long chapter. So I recommended moving it off for later.

And that's where we are, with a pivotal moment that now needs to be written and fleshed out a little more thoroughly. My gut feeling for this was right, we can't have a 5,000 word long chapter detailing a huge mystery, and then put a major plot element on the end of that without spending some quality time with it. I dislike McGuffins, and I don't want the 'thing in the box' to be casually tossed aside since it is key and also a huge part of what it is like to live in this world.

It is the 'light saber' moment in Star Wars, when you realize things are not so normal here. To tack that on to another chapter makes the moment feel less special, and this needs to be special.

So some writing is needed now, and we are just going through that phase. I am waiting for Darthaniel to deliver a draft of the new chapter and I will edit it and get back to the project.

Again, this is an interesting moment while editing, where we both realized that more was needed in order to give the story a greater sense of satisfaction and impact, and then some more work was needed as a result. It is a natural thing, and also one that deserves a little time and consideration on how it is approached. There is also a creative difference here on the plot importance of such an item, one which I may speak to later, but it will be interesting to see how that works out.

For now, I wait, and I will pick this back up when the new chapter arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freewrite Smart Typewriter

https://getfreewrite.com/products/freewrite-smart-typewriter-3rd-gen Well, thanks to this device, my five-year bout of writer's block is...