Thursday, April 9, 2015

Back Into Novel Writing Mode

I am back.

I've been away a while with life, and also keeping up with my regular commitments. I have returned to novel-writing, and I found that this is where I love to be. It is who I am, it brings me joy, and I can lose myself forever while creating a great book. I love my tools, I love my workflow, and I love the act of creating. I also love sharing.

As for my next project? I am finishing up another e-romance book under another pen name right now, but I expect to be back soon with another mainstream work. It calls to me, and this is what I love, so I shall write.

There is a beauty to the novel that I love. A structure you get to make, rules you get to create, and a world you build towards its conclusion. I even love the editing part, where you go back and tie everything together, making sure loose ends are tied up, and things said earlier make sense with what comes later. You can even clean up foreshadowing, and add parts earlier that make sense later. The whole temporal slice across your work starts to make sense, and seeing everything all at once in a great feeling of understanding and mastery when you are finishing a project.

So I write.

One of my friends, Darthaniel, seriously joked about an "On Black Wings 2" project to me. I wrote that book as a one-off, to never really have or need a sequel, but the possibility of crafting a return to Jessica and Azrael's world intrigues me. Can there be another story there? How do you stop a genie like the Four Horsemen, when throughout history, they have been let out of the bottle many times, and will continue to do so for all of time?

Could Jessica go back? Could finishing the series mean going back to her old life? Given all that she has done and knows, could she?

Fascinating questions, and what makes them fascinating is their lack of answers. I don't know, and even if I started the novel today, I wouldn't know. Jessica would have to tell me this for herself. The world would need to tell me how easy that would be. Those who may oppose her would have to rise. That's how I write.

The story is my mistress.

So I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freewrite Smart Typewriter

https://getfreewrite.com/products/freewrite-smart-typewriter-3rd-gen Well, thanks to this device, my five-year bout of writer's block is...