Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Proect Vampy Black: Editing Phase Begins

Project Vampy Black?

Darthaniel is going to seriously call me out for calling it that. Whatever, I am editing it and this is my blog.

I am about 5,000 words into editing Darthaniel's urban fantasy book, and it will be a good one. I am in love with this book, and it takes a fresh perspective to the whole urban fantasy genre. I am also loving doing something different for a while, and I am fresh off editing my last book and I am still in hardcore editing mode so it feels good.

It's not my work either so I am not in self-abusive editoress mode either.

OMG that feels good.

I don't want to spoil the book, but I wanted to give impressions. Darthaniel has this lighter-hearted storytelling style I like it is very immediate and very fresh. I am trying hard to keep that feeling as I go through and make changes and clean things up. He also does things quite differently than I, so I have to adjust to his style and keep that intact. It takes a bit longer than editing my own work, because I want to be careful and preserve 95% of what's there.

The story, dialog, and what happens are gold, I don't touch those. The details, little things, technical stuff, and little places to add things are where I live and make the magic happen. Everything is run by Darthaniel, of course, and this is more of a collaboration editing thing, but I shall call it editing. If I notice something, I will make some suggestions, and he will let me know what he thinks. We work great together so it is a wonderful process and back-and-forth.

As for the book? It is fun, and it is full of character. I've already said that I feel Darthaniel writes some damn good dialog, and we have characters here that shine with some choice words that feel real and sing to my ears. Movie-like would be my way to describe it.

And his situations are fun and full of tension. I am helping amplify that with some of my Workshop lessons, and the chapters are coming out incredibly well in their final draft forms. They are sharp, smart, and full of layered tension so thick you could sink your teeth into them and still not bite all the way through.

The book is urban fantasy and it features vampires, so it is quite a change from my normal world. I do like vampires, and I have read plenty of the spicy romance stories featuring them, so I feel I can add to the feeling and experience in this genre. It is also quite a change from the normal style of 'girl on the cover with a gun' urban fantasy I see so much of, so I feel this one will do well and strike a chord with readers.

He hasn't made the cover yet so if he goes with a 'girl on the cover with a gun' thing I am going to throw a fit.

I am pushing through this one, and it is a big job, so I expect to be at this editing job for a couple weeks in addition to my normal work. And no, Vampy Black is not the name of the book, it is just how I want to refer to my work editing it until the name is decided upon.

So tomorrow is another day, and I am back at the editing thing with Vampy Black. More on this soon, and I am sure Darthaniel will have some things to say about it as well. He is a super fun guy to work with, and we did some work on his romance novels a while back, so this is not the first time we bumped heads and worked on projects together.

Check this out, and keep track of updates here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freewrite Smart Typewriter

https://getfreewrite.com/products/freewrite-smart-typewriter-3rd-gen Well, thanks to this device, my five-year bout of writer's block is...