Sunday, April 18, 2021

2020 Macbook Air: Pure Joy

This writing setup is a pure joy to work with. The 43" 4K monitor at 60hz, and somehow the color profile on the same monitor under Windows (right next to this one) makes this monitor look so much better.

I am getting a feeling Windows Color Management sucks compared to the Mac, and as a graphic designer that is going to really cement my choice on what computer to make my book covers on.

The Mac-specific mechanical keyboard is nice, I can nail thousands of words in a day on this beast. The Magic Trackpad 2 that is coming tomorrow will also help; the mouse is okay but I can work faster with the trackpad when writing (and I miss the swipe gestures).

And the fact I can unplug one USB-C adapter and all of the home-station setup and hardware is disconnected and I am ready to hit the road. All my work cloud-backed up, and with no interruption to my workflow if I want to go out and work away from home.

But the 2020 Macbook Air is a joy to behold for a writer. Completely silent. No fans. Fast. No high front edge to dig into my wrists (which is why I went with the Air over the Pro). Do I worry about compatibility? I am a writer, so not really, but even Steam games and apps are running fine, Second Life runs great; so no, I don't miss anything nor have I had serious compatibility issues.

It is small and thin too. Would I have liked a 15" model? Possibly, but this model will travel better - especially if I have to take 2 laptops on a trip and get those in airport bins and both in one backpack. Every ounce (and charging cable) counts on the road. Seriously, if I were a "gamer" I would wait for a Mini with a M1X or M2 chip and go that route. And if I am writing enough on the road to warrant a larger screen then yes - but not now, and having a lightweight super machine checks a box for me more than a larger laptop would.

It is a computer that stays out of my way, runs silent, and is invisible to my workflow. Since I get many hours of battery life, I can charge it once and use it all week (if not running games) around the house. The M1 chip is revolutionary, not evolutionary.

It is also a computer I look forward to using every day over my Windows PC.

And that keeps me writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freewrite Smart Typewriter

https://getfreewrite.com/products/freewrite-smart-typewriter-3rd-gen Well, thanks to this device, my five-year bout of writer's block is...