Monday, April 19, 2021

Worldbuilding

I find myself world-building again. It is something I do well, having constructed and entire retro-future past for Paris' world in her books. I did similar in On Black Wings and Bowlarama, but to a different extent.

So now I find myself creating, taking notes, categorizing, printing out charts and tables, and organizing my thoughts in a handful of research documents. When I dive into a project with a higher background complexity, I like to be ready since it avoids stalling in the middle of the book. My supporting material needs to be there. My world needs structure. My overall plot and situation need to be laid out in a rough format.

Even things like what is in the world, the items and vehicles, how life goes from day to day, and where people live and how they work are all important.

But Sylvia, you write erotica. How much work do you need to do? Bang out 4,500 words and shove it in the store for $2.99!

I don't write like that. I don't create like that. If I did, I would probably be more successful, but releasing a hundred easy books is not what I do. I write statement books. Interesting things. With a hard edge.

But smart and deeply textured.

I am taking on a new genre. I want this to be special.

This will be my take.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freewrite Smart Typewriter

https://getfreewrite.com/products/freewrite-smart-typewriter-3rd-gen Well, thanks to this device, my five-year bout of writer's block is...