Monday, October 20, 2014

CLS Romance: Heat Level

I want this book to be hot without being explicit. Does that make sense? I feel you can have a scorching book that pushes the boundaries without the traditional erotic-romance explicitness.

In fact, I think I can go even hotter without it.

I know, care to explain? My goal is to blow out the heat level of traditional erotic romance without going to erotic romance, and yes that means a lot of twisted teasing and thoughts, but those are so deliciously fun and a thrill to write I am salivating thinking about writing them.

No, I don't want to 'fade to black' during the good parts, there will be some edgy content there, but I know where the lines should be, respectfully, and I want to see if it is possible for me to make this sizzle without having to break out the nasty parts and let those be the heat instead of the mental, touching, lustful, and relationship parts.

It is going to be a challenge, I know. But I love those.

I'm not shy about going explicit, but I don't want to for this book because I want room to explore the relationship through relationship, and not sex-as-plot. It's not that type of book, really. I strictly define erotic-romance as needing plot-through-sex, and that's not the point here - this is about two people, their feelings, their trials, and their emotions between each other.

This also may be a thought-provoking book on erotic-romance versus romance as well, that if a story is about the story, make it about the story without having to feel pressured to write in explicit parts because the market demands it. It is a chance for me to explore this, and to also play with making it as hot as I want it to be without having to write a sex scene every second chapter.

There will be those, I am sure, but they are special and I want to write them when I want to write them. They are story-driven events, not marketing-driven.

There is a thought here that erotic-romance may be a commercial art, like graphic design is to traditional art. When you are writing to put in a sex scene on a regular and predictable schedule, you are creating "art" for a commercial demand. Now, commercial art can still be artistic and well-designed, and art in itself, as Andy Warhol proved, but it is commercial art. It is meant to sell a product or service, in this case, itself, and it serves the commercial master before it serves the artistic one.

Not that commercial art is bad per se, but there is an honesty, truthiness, and freedom in understanding the concepts behind what we do as writers and artists.

How did I get here? Wow, I need a map to get myself out of this discussion because I am all over the place today. It is am interesting thought though, and one I want to explore when I write this. Ah, wonderful segue. The book?

It's going to be hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freewrite Smart Typewriter

https://getfreewrite.com/products/freewrite-smart-typewriter-3rd-gen Well, thanks to this device, my five-year bout of writer's block is...