Sunday, October 19, 2014

CLS Romance Project: I Drew a Map!

I haven't drawn a detailed map in a long time, but I found myself drawing one yesterday with my new romance book project.

I know, a map?

Trust me, I needed a really good map. There is a fair bit of travel in this book, romantic locations, plot elements, and lots of different things happening that I needed to sort it all out and draw a map so I would have something to write with.

I can't share the map now since that would give away everything, but someday you may see my sloppy, hand-drawn mess of a map that I needed to get my book off the ground. Now, I don't want to confuse people with a who-is-where-what thing, I just needed it to lay out place names, people and where they were at different plot points, and the flow of the story.

There will not be a test on this, please, but the genre I am thinking about requires maps in order for things to make sense. Remember when I said I needed to do a lot of backstory and world development so the characters in the romance book would have something other to talk about other than "I want you" or "I don't want you"? Yes, this is that work.

Oh, and another small clue, I started the tag CLS Romance Project for this book as well so those interested can track it. I'm not saying what CLS stands for either, nice try.

But, a map? There is a clue there I'm not going to even hint at. Part of the fun is showing and not telling. I'm probably terrible at keeping a secret though.

Oh, and on this map are several other short stories related to the main story that I may put out as freebie shorts. It depends if they are strong enough to release as a part of the book, or if they distract from the main storyline too much and I want to keep them as separate content. They contain supporting cast that aren't the focus of the story, but they are in and important to the story in major ways. I may do a month of pre-orders and release the stories as the run-up, who knows, and I shall see how it goes.

Oh Goddess, that is an ugly map. But it gets the job done.

Back to writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freewrite Smart Typewriter

https://getfreewrite.com/products/freewrite-smart-typewriter-3rd-gen Well, thanks to this device, my five-year bout of writer's block is...