Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Proof Work

Proof work is always long and a bit tedious. I am doing a proof on a project at the moment, and the one thing about this project is formatting will make or break it.

On the Kindle.

I know, you can't really predict too much on the Kindle, and you don't have a lot of control over both margins, bulleted lists, and much else when you are trying to split text from other text. You basically have paragraph spacing, left margins, and empty lines.

So I am formatting, uploading to my Paperwhite, making notes, plugging the thing back in, changing things, and repeating the process. Over and over again. I am happy with what I got, so I am going through and double-checking everything now.

The Kindle and the Paperwhite are odd devices, they are mainly readers of books, and you have to work within some strange restrictions if you want things looking good on everyone's screens. Ideally, they are for reading bulk text, and they do that very well. There are still some things I prefer PDFs for, such as technical documents or complicated layouts.

I do wish the Kindle and the Paperwhite had a simple layout language.

So I am proofing some more today, and going over this project's forward so I can get the tone and content right. I know, nobody reads those, but I do since they set the tone. Every part is important, every mistake is painful, and proofing "just one more pass through" is always a long and arduous process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freewrite Smart Typewriter

https://getfreewrite.com/products/freewrite-smart-typewriter-3rd-gen Well, thanks to this device, my five-year bout of writer's block is...